- Cookware & More Blog
Need help deciding on the perfect piece of cookware or cutlery for your needs? Call us!
We have trained specialists to help!
Mon-Fri 9:30-5:30 EST
Sat 9:30 - 4:00
Cookware & More Blog
Posted by Kelly on 20th Feb 2018
It's that time of the week again--Taco Tuesday. We have a favorite shredded beef taco recipe from Cook's Illustrated that is a must try!
Shredded Beef Tacos
-1.5 cups beer (suggested Dos Equis or Sierra Nevada)
-4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, and torn into 1/2-inch pieces (~1cup)
-1/2 cup cider vinegar
-2 T. tomato paste
-6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed and peeled
-3 bay leaves
-2 t. ground cumin
-2 t. dried oregano
-Salt and Pepper
-1/2 t. ground cloves
-1/2 t. ground cinnamon
-1 large onion, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
-3 pounds boneless beef short ribs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
-1 cup cider vinegar
-1/2 cup water
-1 T. Sugar
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and sliced this (~6 cups)
-1 onion, sliced thin
-1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
-1 t. dried oregano
-1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
18 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (1 cup)
1. For the beef: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325-degrees. Combine beer, anchos, vinegar, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, 2 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, cloves, and cinnamon in dutch oven (It is crucial your dutch oven has a well-fitting lid and wide base, try All-Clad's 8-quart Stock Pot.)Arrange onion rounds in single layer on bottom of pot. Place beef on top of onion rounds in single layer. Cover and cook until meat it well browned and tender, 2.5 to 3-hours.
2. For the cabbage-carrot slaw: While beef cooks, whisk vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage, onion, carrot, jalapeño, and oregano and toss to combine. (My go-to knife for all the veggie chopping) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Drain slaw and stir in cilantro right before serving. ( I tend to omit the cilantro. I'm one of the people that it tends not to agree with).
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beer to large bowl, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and set aside. Strain liquid with a fine mesh strainer into 2-cup liquid measuring cup (do not wash pot, yet). Discard onion rounds and bay leaves. Let strained liquid settle for 5 minutes, then skim any fat from surface. Add water as needed to equal 1-cup. Pour liquid into blender with reserved solids and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Transfer sauce to now-empty pot.
4. Using 2 forks, shred beef into bite-size pieces. Bring sauce to simmer over medium heat. Add beef and stir to coat. Season with salt to taste.
5. Spoon small amount of beef into each warm tortilla and serve, passing slaw, queso fresco, and lime wedges separately.
As 2017 comes to a close, with 2018 on the horizon, I'm sure many of you have some type of resolution in mind. They can vary greatly across people, but if you're like me it usually has to do with eating healthier, losing weight, or just having more meals prepared to avoid eating out. Here [...]
Thanksgiving is getting close and I am sure you are thinking about all the delicious food you are going to make, but have you thought about your kitchen products that will make your life easier this holiday? From prep to cooking to cleanup, here are just some of the amazing products you need in your [...]
With the cold weather finally here, I think it's time for one of my favorite soup recipes--Corn Chowder. A Pennsylvania Dutch classic, this hearty dish is very popular in our area. I've tried many variations of this recipe, and I know there are a ton out there. Below is my favorite. It comes from America's [...]
Having a Labor Day party this weekend and need an easy and delicious recipe to make? Try these Grilled Margarita Chicken Kabobs from the blog The Cards We Drew. ..Grilled Margarita Chicken Kabobs..Ingredients 1 teaspoon black pepper1 cup lime margarita mix from a bottle (non-alcoholic)1 teaspoon onion powder1 tablespoon cumin1 tablespoon garlic salt2 lbs chicken cut into [...]
...America's Test Kitchen Named All-Clad 4 Qt Saucepan "Best Large Saucepan" in the following informative video:......In this video, America's Test Kitchen chooses the All-Clad 4 Quart Saucepan as the "Best Large Saucepan" based on durability, even heating, ease of pouring, and overall performance in a range of tests. ..They noted that:the stainless cooking surface allows [...]
Who doesn't love bacon? Learn how to make it yourself with Master Butcher Camas Davis in this Wusthof video. I will let the video speak for itself.........Check out the knives used in the video:...Wusthof Ikon 9" Carving Knife...Get yours here:......Wusthof Classic 7" Santoku ..Get yours here:....
The best way to get a great sear on a steak is with a stainless steel pan, and who makes a better stainless steel pan than All-Clad? In the following video, created by All-Clad, Chef Paul Kahan describes how to sear a perfect steak with his All-Clad Stainless 12" Frypan. ...According to Chef Kahan, [...]
When you are cutting, what should your other hand be doing? This technique video by Wusthof helps with your "Guide Hand" technique. Enjoy!
Last year, I created a video discussing the differences among All-Clad's lines to assist customers in making the decision about which line to purchase. Since then, a few changes have happened, so I created this new video to update the information: All-Clad has several lines of cookware that vary in looks and heat efficiency. The [...]